Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum has accused the Nigerian Army of being responsible for the attack on his convoy in Baga, Kukawa local government area of the state.
Naija News had reported earlier that governor Zulum was attacked by the dreaded Boko Haram groups while on his way to some internally displaced persons (IDP) camps.
The governor expressed his concern on the need to investigate the army command in Borno, he noted that there were many pieces of equipment and troops on the ground that should be enough to curb security challenges in the region.
Governor Zulum while speaking with newsmen yesterday claimed that the attack was a sabotage from the Nigerian Army. “You heard what happened at Baga. It is a complete sabotage. The issue is not about the president. The soldiers and equipment are on the ground. We have a total number of about 1,181 soldiers in Baga. I think the problem is in the command or control structure which has to be looked into,” said governor Zulum.
He added, “I cannot end my interview without clearly stating what happened. As far as I am concerned, there was no Boko Haram inside the town yesterday. That was a serious shooting by the Nigerian armed forces who are residing in Baga. The situation is very embarrassing.
“I think we shall give them some sufficient time because Baga is very important. The shores of the Lake Chad provide employment opportunities to about 10 million people in the north-east.”
Meanwhile, Zulum has said earlier that saboteurs in the system have frustrated President Muhammadu Buhari’s effort to wipe out Boko Haram.
The governor made the statement on Sunday when hosting the Governors of Kebbi and Jigawa States, Atiku Bagudu, and Badaru Abubakar, who paid him a solidarity visit over the recent attack in Baga – a town in Borno.