Good morning, Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top Newspaper Headlines in Nigeria for today Friday, 31st July 2020
1. Nigerian Army Reacts To Boko Haram Attack On Borno Governor
The Nigerian Army has officially reacted to the attack on the convoy of Borno State Governor, Professor. Babagana Zulum.
It will be recalled that gunmen, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram Terrorist group on Wednesday, attacked the governor’s convoy in Bama town, Borno State.
The Governor was said to be on his way to visit some internally displaced persons (IDP) camps in the northern part of Borno when his convoy was attacked.
2. Boko Haram: How Nigerian Soldier Shot And Killed His Commanding Officer In Borno State
A soldier of the Nigerian Army, Private Azunna Maduabuchi has killed his commanding officer, Lieutenant Babakaka Shehu Ngorgi.
The incident happened on Wednesday, July 29 in Bama, Borno State.
Maduabuchi was said to have opened fire on the Lieutenant, fired eight rounds at the officer, at close range, killing him on the spot shortly after the troops returned to their base after an operation against Boko Haram Terrorists
3. Sallah: Buhari Tables ‘Fresh Request’ Before Nigerians Over Coronavirus
President Muhammadu Buhari has appealed to all Nigerians for understanding in the face of the challenging times over the spread of Coronavirus in Nigeria.
Naija News reports that the President who made the appeal on Thursday said he was aware that the measures introduced to contain the spread of COVID-19 had caused serious inconvenience to Muslims and the adherents of other faiths.
4. Bomb Blast Rocks Maiduguri, Borno State
Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, was on Thursday rocked by at least two bomb blasts.
According to TheCable, the first blast occurred around Gunge, a residential area, around 6pm.
The other blast happened around a place where cars are sold in the state capital, a security source revealed.
5. Myetti Allah Has No Legal Right To Establish A Nationwide Security Outfit – Ortom
The Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has given a direct order to the Fulani socio-cultural association, Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore.
The Governor who spoke through his Chief Press Secretary, Terver Akase in a press statement made available to newsmen asked the group not to establish any security outfit in the state.
Ortom stated that the Fulani group has no legal right to establish a nationwide security outfit. He outrightly stated that the Benue State does not need a Myetti Allah’s Vigilante group.
6. EFCC: Magu Denies Threatening Judicial Officer
The suspended acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, has denied the allegation levelled against him by the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami.
The Minister of Justice in an allegation filed before the presidential panel investigating Magu had accused the suspended EFCC boss of threatening Judiciary officers.
Magu, however, in his response denied the allegation that he threatened Judicial Officers while still in the position of the acting chairman of the anti-graft agency.
7. Azura-Edo: Nigeria Not Liable To Pay $1.2bn – Presidency
President Muhammadu Buhari‘s Special Adviser on Infrastructure, Ahmed Zakari, on Wednesday noted that the Federal Government did not sign any document from 2013 to 2015 compelling it to pay $1.2bn if it defaulted on the contract for the Azura-Edo Independent Power Plant.
Gabriel Suswan, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Power, had last week claimed that the President Buhari government signed power agreements with Azura to generate 450 megawatts of electricity.
8. Afenifere Leader, Pa Fasanmi Is Dead
The Leader of Afenifere, Egbe Ilosiwaju Yoruba, Senator Ayo Fasanmi has died aged 94.
Naija News gathered that the Afenifere leader died on Wednesday night after a brief illness in Osogbo.
His death was confirmed by his Personal Assistant, Tope Adebayo on Thursday morning.
9. $2.5m Stolen Crude Oil: Future Generations Will Not Forgive Buhari -Timi Frank
Former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Timi Frank has described the graveyard silence of the President, General Muhammadu Buhari-led regime’s silence over the $2.5billion stolen crude oil as evidence of complicity.
Frank who made the assertion in a statement made available to Naija news berated the failure of the presidency to condemn the heinous crime and act to bring the conspirators to book can only point to tacit support by the Federal Government.
10. FG Receives 158 Stranded Nigerians From Niger
The President Muhammadu Buhari-led government on Thursday received one hundred and fifty-eight Nigerian migrants from Niamey, Niger Republic.
The officials of the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons, and the National Emergency Management Agency received the 158 migrants.
That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.